HR and Admin Manager
About The George Institute
The George Institute (‘TGI’) employs 600+ people, focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to find the best ways to prevent and treat chronic disease and injury, and to influence policy and practice worldwide. Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
Here is a sample of the things we are doing to achieve our goal of having the greatest possible impact on global health:
· We are identifying better and safer treatments for our biggest killers like stroke, heart disease and high blood pressure;
· In many countries, our award winning FoodSwitch smartphone app is helping people make healthy food choices when shopping;
· In China, we ran a successful education and awareness program to reduce the amount of salt eaten by people by 25% each day, potentially saving up to 125,000 lives a year;
· In rural India, we have shown that mobile technology can help diagnose mental health, as well as help treat cardiovascular disease, and we’re looking at similar approaches to treating chronic diseases in Indonesia and China;
· Together with Aboriginal communities in NSW, Australia, we have developed an innovative community led program to assist young Aboriginal drivers attain their license, now implemented in a dozen of locations;
· We are developing an affordable dialysis machine, with potential to save millions of lives each year and transform the way kidney disease is treated globally.
The HR and Admin Manager has the overall responsibility for the management and coordination of Human Resources and Administration of GI China. He/she is accountable for the provision of effective HR and administrative services, ensuring that the team has appropriate human resources in place to adapt to the changing contexts. The HR & Administration Manager is responsible for providing strategic direction on HR management, and for ensuring appropriate policies and procedures are established and implemented.
The HR and Admin Manager will directly report to the Director, Finance & Operations directly and dotted report to Global HR Director.
The HR and Admin Manager will manage one HR Coordinator and one Admin Assistant.
Duties and Key Responsibilities
· Develop a best practice HR strategy for China by leading on the development and implementation of systems, policies and processes to meet the evolving needs of the organisation in key HR areas such as resourcing, induction, compensation and benefits, performance management, learning and development, employee relations/ engagement and staff safety and wellness; ensure the full use of GI systems and tools; review regularly to secure that are up to date, competitive and legal.
· Manage HR related contracts (payroll, health and safety etc) with the assistance of HR staff in order to secure the interests of the organization.
· Manage the analysis of HR needs both short-term and long-term; and look for sustainable solutions.
· Collaborate with HR peers in Australia and globally to achieve global HR priorities.
· Ensure appropriate recruitment, retention and succession of staff.
· Review staffing structures, grading and job profiles and support the implementation of new salary scales if agreed as necessary. Evaluate regularly whether they remain current, competitive and legal.
· Coach line managers to achieve the best – for themselves and their teams.
· Undertake projects within Australia and globally to develop systems and processes to improve efficiency and effectiveness of the HR organization.
· Check the payroll for national and international staff for all payment periods.
· Plan and oversee the HR budget by estimating and forecasting requirements and trends.
· Manage the HR coordinator to compile and analyze data up to date in order to prepare and distribute accurate reports on HR metrics as requested.
· Promote the GI image/ reputation in local market and partners by participating in professional organizations, conferences and meetings as well as by maintaining personal contacts.
· Monitor and advise on disciplinary matters in accordance with established policies and procedures.
· Mediate conflict, grievances and harassment cases.
· Ensure that staff and GI associates are aware of and adhere to the Code of Conduct and other policies
· Supervise administrative function to ensure the smooth running of the response.
· Oversee the use and the overall maintenance of the office premises, facilities assets and equipment (physical work environment) and ensure that these are secure and efficiently utilized.
· Review and update all rental contracts and leases and be responsible for office fit-out
· Review preferred vendors on regularly basis and update contracts with the vendors.
· Ensure compliance with Health and Safety regulations.
· Ensure adequate security for office premises and property.
· Provide supervision of support to guests, visitors including partner organizations involved in GI activities.
· Update insurance policies to make sure proper insurance in place.
· Lead field office facilities management – ensure there are mechanisms in place to support sub-office issues.
· Support regular report to government stakeholders.
· Be responsible for company secretary work.
· Take the lead of staff retreat and office culture building.
· Other possible assignment incurred.
Staff Management, Mentorship and Development
· Ensure appropriate staffing and organization of workload within Human Resources and Administration.
· Monitor and review the performance of the HR/Administration teams.
· Supervise and provide constant development (including coaching, training and promotion) of the HR/ Administration functions to ensure that advice and support is provided to managers and staff on interpretation and application of policies and procedures and on other HR related matters.
· Provide operational support in all HR functions (e.g. conducting interviews, provide induction) when needed.
As a Team Member:
· Participate in team meetings and activities
· Participate in objective setting, performance management
· Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation
Occupational Health and Safety
· Comply with OH&S legislation and operate in accordance with established OH&S practice and procedures at the George Institute
· Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
· Bachelor degree or equivalent, preferably in a related field: Human Resource Management, Business Administration, and organizational development.
· At least 8 years experiences working across HR disciplines including recruiting, benefits, training, staffing and payroll.
· Experience in managing people
· Ability to be a responsive, positive and helpful resource to employee questions or concerns.
· Demonstrated understanding and application of Chinese labor law, social welfare and tax systems
· Good sense in providing administrative services
· Superior communication skills in Chinese and English
· High proficient in using Microsoft Office.
· Experience in working with HR system(s) an advantage
· Experience in working offshore and/or in global teams an advantage
· Maturity to work with senior leaders with confidence
· Takes initiative to solve problems and detailed-orientated in daily work
· Creative thinker who can bring innovation to improve HR and Admin services
· Work well independently and as a team member
· Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to interact with different levels of people, with a sense of internal customer focus
· Conscientious and mature in daily work, particularly in dealing with sensitive or confidential matters; and has a high level of initiative and able to work independently and reliable.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and work under pressure.
Please send your CV in English and Chinses to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of HR and Admin Manager Application" before November 1, 2018.