Case studies and examples
The impact of our work extends across the world, helping improve the lives of millions of people. Examples include:
- Working with other partners, experts from The George have joined in a multi-pronged process of change around food labelling, transparency and awareness raising.
- In Indonesia, the Malang district government is aiming to scale-up our mobile device-based clinical decision support system, SMARThealth to around 400 villages, following our study involving rural villagers in Malang.
- The George Institute was designated a WHO Collaborating Centre for Injury Prevention and Trauma Care in November 2018.
- In Philippines, the Senate passed a motion in October 2018 to establish a national cancer program citing our ACTION study
- We conducted a major study into the dangers of mobile phone use while driving, which was used as evidence for current legislation in Australia
- We released Foodswitch, a smartphone app that scans the barcodes of food products to get nutritional information and suggest healthier alternatives. It has now been released in a number of countries around the world.
- We ran a successful education and awareness program to reduce the amount of salt eaten by people in China by 25% each day, potentially saving up to 125,000 lives a year. Also, watch our awareness video on educating Indian children on salt consumption and see how this helps current and future generations and save millions of lives.
- We are training frontline health workers in rural India, to screen for non-communicable diseases with the help of mHealth technology, showing that community health workers can play a critical role in primary health care delivery.
- We partnered with UNICEF and the University of Oxford to train journalists in India in health reporting and effective health promotion.
- Three of our researchers were included in Thomson Reuters World’s Most Influential Scientific Minds 2015 report.
- We used mobile technology to help diagnose mental health in rural India.
- We were one of the winners of the 2016 Google Impact Challenge.
- In 2018, The George Institute for Global Health was ranked the top independent research organisation in Australia, and come in at 33rd, worldwide
See more case studies of our impact on the right.
Follow us on twitter @georgeinstitute to stay updated on our latest research and advocacy programs.